How To Lose Weight While Reducing Stress
Discover my Top 10 self-care and nutrition tips and learn how to lose weight while reducing stress.
Are you having trouble losing weight and reducing your stress levels?
In this article, I share my top 10 self-care and nutrition tips that will help you to start losing stubborn fat and feeling more zen in no time. You’ll learn about the connection between stress and weight gain and some simple nutrition and lifestyle changes you can start now to help you lose weight and reduce stress.
Stress requires a response that is controlled by the adrenal glands and the secretion of the hormone cortisol. You have two adrenal glands, one on top of each kidney. They make the hormones adrenaline and noradrenaline. (Flight or Flight) These hormones help control your heart rate and blood pressure. Cortisol is released as a response to stress from your adrenal glands. Do you remember those commercials that showed abdominal weight gain and contributed it to cortisol? They were right – excess cortisol can lead to excess weight.
Chronic stress is equivalent to high cortisol.
Cortisol is meant to be higher in the morning to provide us with energy and then lower in the evening so that we can wind down. In the case of chronic ongoing (chronic) stress is that your cortisol rhythm can become off-kilter. It can affect your sleep – you can have a hard time falling asleep, wake up in the middle of the night, or feel fatigued upon rising after 8 hours or more of sleep.
Symptoms of adrenal imbalance are weight gain or inability to lose weight, fatigue, lowered thyroid function, cardiovascular stress, alterations in blood sugar, muscle loss, sleep disturbances, decreased sex drive, memory loss, depression, increase in sugar cravings, and decreased immunity. None of these sounds good, right!
Cortisol is released during stress and DHEA is released to d-stress. Increased cortisol:DHEA ratio = a state of “emergency” versus a state of “repair and relax”. The balance and ratio of these hormones provide insight into how the body is responding to stress. Evaluating cortisol:DHEA ratio with an Adrenal Stress Panel can identify hormone patterns as a response to stress. With the findings, you can integrate intervention techniques via diet and lifestyle changes to address your cortisol rhythm.
It is so important for you to honor your body and treat it right.
Maintaining a positive mindset is a vital component of health. Practicing stress-reducing techniques and having a positive mindset is the foundation for mental and physical health. One of my favorite quotes is, “You cannot pour from an empty cup”. The list below contains 10 of my favorite self-care tips so that you can fill your cup back up again and feel your best.
- Get adequate sleep: Aim for 8-9 hours a night. Try to keep to a regular sleep schedule, avoid caffeine and other substances before bed. Create a quiet and dark room for sleep. Read my top 14 favorite sleep tips here.
- Exercise regularly: The body produces endorphins; chemicals in our bodies that neutralize stress hormones, and increase our sense of well-being. Aim for at least 30-minutes of movement daily.
- Connect to nature: Get outdoors and observe all the beauty that nature has to offer. Go for a walk, hike, bike ride, start a garden, or simply have a picnic and read a book in the trees.
- Develop supportive relationships: Having caring people in our lives can help us feel connected to others and less isolated.
- Accept who you are: Be kind and compassionate with yourself. Learn to listen and trust your instincts and feelings.
- Practice good communication: Speaking clearly can help us to let others understand our needs. Communication can assist us in setting boundaries and limits.
- Practice positive thinking: Become mindful of how your thoughts affect your behavior and feelings.
- Find time for relaxation and play: Find ways to nurture yourself with activities that you enjoy and find time for relaxation. This can help balance your life in a positive and fulfilling way.
- Try stress-relieving techniques: Try deep breathing, take a walk, meditate, workout, connect with nature, journal, practice yoga, read a book or magazine, or get a massage.
- Practice setting realistic goals: When we set goals for ourselves it helps us to achieve and move forward in a positive way.
Develop a practice of prioritizing, planning, and approaching tasks strategically. This will keep life’s demands from becoming overwhelming. Make a list of goals for the day, week, month, and year.
Nutrition To Enhance Your Immune System
Maintaining good nutrition is critical.
- Drink 1/2 of your body weight in pure water daily. This helps to flush out toxins and enhance digestion. Both of which are helpful
- Eat properly throughout the day to stabilize your blood sugar levels and reach your ideal weight.
- Connect with me for a 15-minute phone or video consultation for customized nutrition support.
If you need support with any of these areas please reach out to me as I am here to ensure your success.
We all experience some degree of stress whether it is chronic ongoing stress or a short burst of it. Our body is equipped to handle some stress, however, too much stress will interfere with your cortisol rhythms. High cortisol is linked to a plethora of conditions including fatigue, brain fog, and weight gain. Reducing your stress levels through these diet and lifestyle tips I shared will help to support your cortisol rhythm and regulate your metabolism.
You’re well on your to reaching your ideal weight and decreasing stress. Which of these strategies will you start incorporating in your life right now? Let us know in the comments.
FREE 5-Day Online Wellness Retreat
The Wellness Retreat is designed to support healthy eating, natural weight loss, stress management, and vitality. Includes education, recipes, yoga, and more! Start at your convenience and receive 24/7 access.
This Free 5-Day Online Wellness Retreat Includes:
- “Natural Weight Loss & Vitality” eBook
- Nutrition and healthy living resources
- A clean eating menu plan and recipes
- Nutrition, yoga, and meditation videos